Saturday, November 19, 2011

From Rooftop to Home Decor

If you happened to visit my Stampin' Up! Facebook page last night, you may have seen my question about incorporating roofing material into home decor. I know, sounds completely crazy, right? I would have thought so too...until I came across this particular project and immediately had to try it.

Here's a pic of my finished project:





Top view:


Without the tealight:


Isn't it gorgeous????   Can you guess what it's made from??? Would you believe it's cut from a piece of aluminum flashing? Yup, the same stuff that's used on your homes roof!  I KNOW!!!

I've seen it around "blogland" recently and of course I had to jump on the bandwagon and give it a go!

I popped into one of our local hardware stores and picked up a roll of silver aluminum flashing.  I picked up the narrowest roll I could find (6") but they all come in 50' lengths!!!  Let's just say I've got LOOOOOTS left!



Using my Big Shot and my Snowflake #2 Bigz die, I cut out a snowflake. 


Now, that may sound simple enough, but I will say it was a little tricky.  Aluminum flashing is a little thicker than a soda can, so to make sure the blade would cut all the way through and not just "dent" it, I needed to use a few paper shims.  Each Big Shot is a little different, but for me I needed a total of 4 additional layers.  Fewer than that didn't cut the flashing all the way through and more than that and the sandwich just felt too thick and I didn't want to force it through.

Please Note:  You can ONLY use the Bigz or Original dies to cut anything other than paper.  If you attempt this with a sizzlet die, you'll ruin it.  Bigz and Original dies are steel and so they're extremely strong.  Sizzlets have a chemically etched blade which allows a much more detailed design, but are ONLY made to cut through a single layer of paper at a time.

Once cut out, I used my stylus to help push out the smaller pieces.  I chose to wear gardening gloves while doing this.  The cut snowflake wasn't sharp, but the outside piece was and I didn't want to take any changes of slicing open my fingers!


All punched out:



I cut out a 2nd snowflake and layered it on top of the first.


I then pushed the top snowflake "arms" down and pulled the bottom snowflake "arms" up. 



Then, I added a few mini glue dots to the center between the two snowflakes and squished them together.  I chose to add the glue dots after I'd woven the snowflake arms together just because I found the arms didn't want to cooperate if the center was already glued together.



The final step was to place a tealight in the center and pull the upper snowflake arms around it to cradle it in place.  That's it!

It's not a difficult project, but it was time consuming. 

Maybe you're interested in trying it out yourself but don't really think you want to commit to buying a 50' roll of aluminum!  Because I highly doubt I'll be using the entire roll I purchased anytime soon, I would be happy to sell some at only $1/foot.  Each snowflake used a 6" piece.

Are you interested in seeing how I added the snowflake image to the top of my tealight?  Check back soon and I'll show how quick and simple it is.

Happy Stamping!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a note to let me know you stopped by! I'd love to know what you thought!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online